Here's a few key "nice to knows" about Mr. Golisano:
- Net worth: $1.4B
- Age: 69 (turns 70 this Monday, November 14, 2011)
- As of 2011, he's #312 on the Forbes 400.
- Made his bones by founding Paychex, a payroll services alternative to ADP which could be doing things a bit better.
- Has used at least some of his powers for good, founding the Golisano Foundation which is "dedicated to providing opportunities for those with developmental disabilities and offering support to their families". Sounds nice enough, but is that just a tax shelter I smell?
- Former owner of the Buffalo Sabres, who bought them out of bankruptcy and sold them earlier this year to Terry Pegula. Apparently did a decent job turning the franchise around, and his since expressed his interest in buying the Buffalo Bills time and time again.
- Ran for governor of New York as a member of the Independence Party, before switching back to the GOP, while also giving over $1MM to the Democratic Party in 2008. Uhhh, indecisive much?
- Bailed on his native People's Republic of New York in 2009 as a protest over increased income taxes on millionaires and others who earn well.
- Dated Monica Seles back in 2009, and took some heat for dating someone 32 years his junior.